Sunday, December 20, 2009

Christmas Past: Christians without Christmas

This morning at church we had an Advent Service composed of singing Christmas Carols about the coming of Christ such as "Joy to the World", "Little Town of Bethlehem", etc. combined with readings and remarks by our minister, Kevin, concerning the 4 parts of Advent: Hope, Peace, Joy and Love. It was a great service. I am proud that the church I attend now has joined the rest of the world in celebrating the Birth of Christ.

My mind kept wondering back to my childhood and the church of my youth. That church would rather be righteous than be joy filled. You had to choose!

You see I was taught that Christmas was a celebration apart from Christian beliefs. This time of year the preacher would point out that Jesus was probably born in the summer. He would also point out that our group celebrated Jesus birth every week not just Christmas (This was a variation of the sermon near Easter, which was not acknowledged by our group either!) Then the preacher would deride those that just come to church for Christmas. The only time our church would sing Christmas hymns was in the summer to further our narrow minded beliefs.

By the way, Our church has a Christmas tree, wreaths and lights. I've come a long way, baby!

No comments: