Sunday, November 16, 2008

Zealots 2, a followup

If you read my blog in October about Zealots, you will remember that someone from my church sent me an up-setting e-mail. This week, two things happened: 1. Someone intervened and ask him to apologize, which he did. 2. I heard a sermon this morning about forgiving and making amends and left the church irritated all over again! Isn't that the way life is? You want to do the right thing. And I know what the right thing is, but I don't think the other guy does! I will move on with no problem and do not have hard feelings about this. I'm just having a hard time putting it aside. You see in the sermon today, the preacher said that non-specific statements like "If I have done something to offend you, I did not mean to." does not show much ownership in the repentance. If someone says, "I read something that I really agree with, and my wife sent it to you with my name on it. When I found out about it it was too late to say anything, but now I am sorry that it was sent and that you were hurt." You see, the way life works is I am not so much bothered that he sent it, but that he believed what he read. He also wanted others to feel the way he did. He is sorry that he sent it to me. He said it was sent to 5 people. Two of which were in the room, when he apologized to me. He did not apologize to them?

I know that I am expected to take the high road. I know that conventional wisdom says to let it die and be thankful that he apologized for something. But the reason I live along a different road is that we should care more than that. If we get caught just say I'm sorry and go on like nothing important happened. It is like a thief that gets caught and says, "Note to self, don't go back to that neighborhood to steal."

The preacher this morning basically said that it probably wasn't what I wanted, but then he hit me:

"Put your heart right, reach out to God, then face the world again, firm and courageous. Then all your troubles will fade from your memory, like floods that are past and remembered no more."
Job 11:13-16

No comments: