Sunday, November 23, 2008

Outliers lessons

I am halfway with the new book "Outliers" and for me it is a ground breaking book. I can easily recommend this to anyone. It will challenge you as few books do. The theory that success takes 10,000 hours is enough, but there is more. (What have you done for 20 hours a week for 10 years?) It talks about how we are as much products of our family, opportunities, and timing as in anything we bring to the table. Don't believe it? I challenge you to try it. It has made me examine every experience of my up-bringing, my education and my work. I have come up with some surprising conclusions, that I would never have considered. I have also revisited some things about my church that has raised some very interesting thoughts.

Read "Outliers" and lets talk!

Here is an example of my thoughts:

Let's suppose, that at the beginning, a church was created by members that had suffered bad leadership at their previous church or churches and decides to become a church of refuge. They also decide that the leadership will never have a position to act as lords and will just be servants. They minister to others that come their way, who also have similar bad experiences with churches of the past. All draw close because of a common thread and become a close "family". They do good works especially outside the city or among the church family. As the church ages, others happen in who do not have bad church or worship experiences. How do they fit in? Can outsiders be trusted if they suffer no bad experineces? If the leaders and would-be leaders have no good church experiences, would they know a good church if it bit them on the butt?

Just a thought.

No comments: