Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Book Report


I just finished Sarah Vowell's "Wordy Shipmates" which I found very interesting. The history that I have read in the last couple of years has been either about the American Revolution or 13th to 16th century England. This was about the Puritans and there religious beliefs and influence on our country's birth. It is sarcastic, but challenging just the same.


I finished it just in time, because my new book arrived in the mail today. Outliers (The Story of Success) by Malcolm Gladwell. Galdwell wrote The Tipping Point and Blink. I read the review in Time magazine and can't wait to start. When I heard that is was being written, I preordered it thru B&N in both hardback and CD. Good News is it came. Bad News: It was the hardback!


I don't do actually reading any more. I buy the book as reference. I like to listen. I will muddle thru until help arrives.


Here is what the book is about (from the book jacket):


"Outliers explains what the Beatles and Bill Gates have in common, the extraordinary success of Asians at math, the hidden advantages of star athletes, why all top New York lawyers have the same resume, and the reason you've never heard of the world's smartest man-- all in terms of generation, family, culture, and class."

No comments: