Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Outliers withdrawal

I have finished the book "Outliers" and it has been a consuming book. I find myself processing almost everything thru what I have read. I will get over it, soon, but for now I'm thinking Outliers. Two of the interesting stories in the book had to do with the Beatles and Bill Gates. The Beatles got a gig, early on, playing strip clubs in Hamburg, Germany in the early years. He shows how the experience playing several hours a day, gave them a great start in forming their craft. They had many more hours of practice than most other bands in history. As for Bill Gates, at 13 he was given the rare chance to spend endless hours at a computer terminal at a time when university computer science professors did not have such a chance. (This was before PCs existed.) By 21 he probably had more computer experience than anyone in the world,certainly anyone his age.
No wonder he dropped out of Harvard after one year!

No comments: