Sunday, September 7, 2008

My Eclectic Weekend

Webster says eclectic is "selecting what appears to be the best in various doctrines, methods, or styles or composed of elements drawn from various sources."

That would be my weekend. Well, not necessarily the best , but certainly varied.

My weekend started Friday morning. Carol and I went to the Tulsa Town Hall series and heard a speech from John Stossel at the PAC. Stossel is the ABC 20/20 journalist known for "Give me a break!" "Give me a Break" was the title of his first book and his new book is "Myths, Lies, and Downright Stupidity." His lecture title was equally provocative, "Pandering to Fear: The Media's Crisis Mentality". Sounds like a good Republican speech? Surprise! John is a reformed liberal. He is a Libertarian! Libertarians cause us problems, because they make a lot of sense and then you go, "Nah!" It was a thought provoking hour. The speech dealt with how the government tries to protect us from ourselves in many areas from consumer safety to food & drug laws. His examples were great. He (like all libertarians) believes in legalizing most drugs, pointing out that the DEA can't even prevent drugs in our prisons much less society. He also talked about how the FDA makes new drugs that combat disease from getting to the market by taking 12 to 15 years for approval. He mentioned that the latest life saving drug is said to save 14,000 lives a year. He asks, "What about the 14,000 that died each year from the time it was discovered to the year released!" Interesting stuff!

After that Carol had to go to a seminar concerning her work with "Weight Watchers" and I went to a movie that was light years form John Stossel or any other reality.

I saw "House Bunny". In my defense it was on near the location of her meeting and it fit the two hour window. It was one of those Animal House type movies, an ok rental, no cussing except the one f-word necessary to get a PG13 rating and mostly mindless comedy. I was in a mindless mode, Stossel filled my brain too full! **stars

We topped off the day going to a High School Football game ! C-o-o-l. I actually saw two football games! Owasso won the first half 16-0! Muskogee won the second half 17-0. When given the choice score one more point!

Saturday, the family (Carol and I, Nate and Lori, Lindsey and Jeremy) went to the Eagles (THE EAGLES) concert in the New BOK Center. This was by far the Best of the various styles. When we got there we found that there was a problem with our tickets and they moved us to much better seats (mid -arena) and gave us $60 in concession vouchers! C-o-o-o-l.

The concert was as good as I have ever seen. I have been to 3 Don Henley concerts and thought that he was about the best. With all the Eagles it was great! Paul McCartney great! If you can go to the November 11 second show. Do it even if you have to pay big!

We got there early an toured the new building. It has gotten so much pub as an architectural wonder I had to put it to the Mike test. My take: The shell of the building is Class A architecture. The Lobby is Class A architecture. The Concourse and arena are just OK. As good as the FORD Center but not close to the American Airlines Center in Dallas. The concessions and toilets are almost as good as most high school gyms in the state that are at least 10 years old. I know where the money ran out!

So in 36 hours, I made a lecture, a movie, a football game, and a concert! (Popcorn at all but Stossel, c-o-o-o-l)

It gets me ready for the coming week. This week I have 2 more concerts (a maybe 3!) and one football game!

To summarize: My wife is a "Weight Watcher" (She works for them.) I am just a "Watcher"!

No comments: