Sunday, September 21, 2008

Mike goes to a Ghost Town!

Ok, Let me say it right up front. "Ghost Town" is my kind of movie. It is one of those movies that I wish every one was required to attend. It has great humor. It has food for thought. It will make a thinking person cry or at least choke up. It is a smart movie. I enjoyed it as much as any this year. The hospital scene that sets up the movie is priceless. (****stars out of five).
(Guy alert! It looks like a romantic comedy but it is much more than that!)

I also like to read about the movies before I see them. Why was the movie made? Why were the actors chosen? Why this Movie?

We were in Fort Worth this weekend and the Star-Telegram had a story about the movie's star, Ricky Gervais, who plays a insensitive jerk of a dentist who has a "life-changing" experience and as another movie once said, "He sees Dead people." Ricky Gervais is the star of the British TV version of "The Office" that was copied by U.S. TV. He has turned down every movie role offered him in the last five years until "Ghost Town". He was offered the same roles taken by Seth Rogen, Jack Black, and such. He says that of the 100 movies that he has turned down 70 should not have been made. He said the idea of his agent saying, "We need to get you noticed!" He says, "No, we don't need to get me noticed. We need to get me some pasta!" They asked him if he was "holding Hollywood at arms length?" He stated, "I know there's going to be a point in my career where I'll stand at a crossroads and I'll tell myself I've got to walk away. That's the good thing about integrity. You can plan it."

I like this guy. I liked this movie! It is about a jerk that finally understands what is wrong with his life. All jerks should see it! The trouble is that most of us jerks would not know that it is about us!

No comments: