Tuesday, September 2, 2008

mike goes to the woody movie

We went to see "Vicky Cristina Barcelona" Woody Allen's new movie. Let me first say that Woody Allen's movies are acquired tastes. If you like his movies you will like this one. If you think that his movies are off the wall then stay home. Woody's movies are first: well crafted, second: well acted. A-List actors sign up to work for him and he gives them rope to act freely- to the point that it seems that you are spying on them. This crop of actors is no exception.

In high school ,when we did book reports, we had to select a theme from a list of 7 possible themes. This theme is life at a given time and a given place. It is the story of two women who spend the summer in Barcelona. It is a story, a weird love story, a quirky love story. It is not a chick flick though. It is a comedy that is about dialogue and decisions. It is about affairs but not about sex. If you saw "No Country For Old Men" the guy that plays the cold blooded killer plays in this movie is the artist that all the women fall for. (A big change)

I liked this movie, but because of the subject matter, I would say it is an acquired taste. I give it *** stars for the movie story (**** for the acting and directing).

Movies like this challenge my brain. On one hand I feel guilty watching people talk about cheating at love, making bad decisions, and well sinning! On the other hand it is so well acted and watching things unfold gives insight to how people think. weirdly think.

Before you judge me and say: Mike how can you like a movie about such things? Well. I ask the same thing when people tell me they haven't been to the movies since John Wayne died. Old John upheld great values with killing, and drinking, and visiting dance hall girls. (The good old days.)

But I just like movies and good stories. Even different ones.

No comments: