Tuesday, September 23, 2008

I wasn't Bourne yesterday



Since I read a lot of books and go to a lot of movies, it constantly happens that I see many movies made from books I have read. Many times the outcome is good. (Harry Potter and Kite Runner) Most times bad. Sometimes, too close to call.

I am a fan of Robert Ludlum's Jason Bourne Novels. The Bourne books are great and fun reads. The movies are always exciting, fast and well made. I have read all the books and seen all the Bourne movies. Matt Damon is tops.

I am currently reading the new Bourne book, "The Bourne Sanction". Eric Von Lustbader now writes the series since Mr.Ludlum died and does a good job.

Here is the problem:

Characters that were killed in the books are still alive in the movies. The books have many characters that are not in the movies including his family and his alter ego! The movies use some of the characters, the title of the book, the general premise and then change everything else. You can not go from Bourne book to Bourne movie and back without confusion.

It would be similar to reading Harry Potter and then going to the movie where Hogwarts school was not mentioned!

The craziest book/movie experience happened to me about 25 years ago. I was reading a lot of Stephen King and when the Movie of "Cujo" (about a rabid Saint Bernard) hit the theaters, I slipped out of the office and went to an afternoon movie. The large movie palace had just me and two other slackers in the whole place. I settled in with a large drink, probably Junior Mints, and a large tub of popcorn. From the start, the movie was identical to the book (scene for scene). It was tense, but I knew what came next. I was deeply involved and had not eaten much of the popcorn. At the end of the book the main character had vanquished the mad dog and went into the house to get a drink. At that point in the movie, I relaxed and grabbed my popcorn, just as the Dog crashed through the kitchen window! (NOT I say NOT in the Book!) I threw the tub of popcorn about 4 rows and jumped enough to spill the drink and exclaim something bad!

I, of course, scared the other patrons who also screamed more because of me than the movie.

I left mumbling to myself.

No comments: