Saturday, September 27, 2008

Cool Hand Paul



It was sad to hear that Paul Newman died. If you look at my list of favorite movies "Absence of Malice" and "The Verdict" would both be in my Top 10. Recently, when the Muskogee newspaper published an untrue story about me. I confronted the publisher and his editors. During the discussion I asked them if they were familiar with the movie "Absence of Malice". They nodded yes and got real quite. I said, "I had always thought it to be a work of fiction UNTIL today!" They printed a retraction two days later.

If you ever feel confronted by the untrue, watch "Absence of Malice".
If you are ever challenged by those who do not believe in you (sometimes that's you), watch "The Verdict".
If you ever wish for payback, instead watch "The Sting."

Paul Newman also appealed to the race fan in me as well. As you may know he was a 4 time national champion sports car racer and co-owned an indy car team for several years. The only time that I saw him in person was here in Oklahoma. He came to the Hallet Sports car track between Tulsa and Stillwater to race his Nissan 280Z. My son, Nate, was about 10 and we went out there for the day.

I was a fan for several reasons. He was independent. I chose to live in New England and not Hollywood. His friends were regular people not stars. When he decided to start a company "Newman's Own" to sell salad dressings that he made for his family, he gave all the money to charity, using some of it to build a series of youth camps for children with critical illnesses. He was married for 50 years. He was also Doc Hudson" in Cars and He was just COOL!

No comments: