Sunday, July 6, 2014

Test Driving a Baptistry

I have designed several baptistries over the years in the churches that I work for.  I have only got to "test drive" two of them.  They happen to be the two that were developed after much thought, study and reflection.  The First was the Garnett Church of Christ baptistry (soon to be demolished).  It was my attempt to make baptisms last longer and be more meaningful.  From the point of entry into the water one had to walk about 25 feet in the water to the baptismal pool.  The auditorium was in the round so this was a major focal point.  Many great things came from that idea.  The greatest though was the day I baptized my son, Nate.  It all fades away when one of your own is baptized.  I remember it well.  It was not during a service.  We went just as a family with a few friends.

The Second was the baptistry at the Jenks Church.  It is in the large lobby/concourse of the building and the pool is under the church's tower.  The idea behind the location and design was to not hide one of the most important symbols of christianity behind a curtain and make it the central idea.  We come into communion and into a worship relationship with Christ through Baptism.  Also Baptism is no longer primarily a place in normal worship as in the past.  But all fails when I got the opportunity to Baptize my oldest grandson, Avery.  The family gathered around and we went down into the water.
It is a high point of my life to know that another generation is embracing Jesus and letting the Spirit come as a comforter.

As much as I hated that Nate did not baptize Avery, I loved the opportunity.  Thanks Nate and Avery.

Baptistries are  just pools of water without the presence of GOD.   He was glorified yesterday.

No comments: