Monday, July 28, 2014

Retire or Re-tire

I have a 2001 Lexus IS300. It has travelled 280,000 miles in its 13+ years. It is currently in the shop since it overheated. It is getting a new radiator, timing belt and having it "head" worked on.  I will get it back before the weekend - ready for new adventures. Some would say that its time for a new car.  A new car would be fun, but I submit that "dislex" (the tag) is probably as good a car as many new ones on the road.  It has held up well against new car styling because Lexus was way ahead of everyone in 2001.  I will get another car. but not yet. And when I do "dislex" we stay in the family.

 After all my 1991 Maxima (m-m-max) is now serving my Mother after 400,000 miles. I bought it new and everyone in the family had a turn.  The transmission lasted 250,000 miles and the first engine 325,000 miles. As it is now it will still run off and hide from most cars on the road, but my Mother sees little need for speed at 93.

I say all this because I have just started a new business.  Someone asked me Sunday about the article in the paper about my new firm and said, "I thought you would retire!"  From what?

From Life?  From something I love?

I have seen some of the new styles (young architects) and they can't keep up!

I know some of my clients may wonder if they need a new one, so it is my aim to show them that miles is not the issue.  Drive is the issue.

Frank Lloyd Wright designed the Robie House when he was 37.




He designed Fallingwater at 68 (considered by architects as America's best design)




and Bartleville's Price Tower at 90!

I am Frank but "I have miles to go before I sleep".

No comments: