Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Two Books and Many Miles




Last week, I played traveling salesman. On Monday I drove to the Oklahoma Panhandle to meet with three schools and contacted to others. That two day trip was 924 miles. On my way home, my boss called and wanted me in Oklahoma City for two days, so after a night at home I took another 364 mile, two day trip to two other schools. I got back Thursday and then left for Ft. Worth (another 600 miles)! Total one week: 1,888 miles+

Keeping me company on my trip out west were two easy read books: "Raylan" by Elmore Leonard and "The Fifth Witness" by Michael Connelly. Raylan is based on my favorite TV show guilty pleasure, "Justified" on FX. It is about Raylan Givens, a fictional U.S. Deputy Marshal, stationed in Harlan County, Kentucky. (Where my people came from!). Most TV shows about the south are filled with cliches and stupid dialogue (Think Dukes of Hazard"). This show is real and raw. So is the Elmore Leonard stories that created him. Since I know the TV characters, the images in my head of speech and visual was easy. As I read I kept thinking, they will probably work some of this into the TV show. This week's show answered. "Of course!" It used a scene from the Book.

The second book, "The Fifth Witness" is a sequel to the "Lincoln Lawyer" Novel and Movie. It will also be a movie. Again knowing who played who in the movie, visuals were easy.

These won't win Pulitzers, but they sure made the miles melt away.

2012 books #4 and #5

No comments: