Thursday, February 9, 2012

Borrowed Oklahoma History


Lately, I have been working in Western Oklahoma. After 30+ years of working in Eastern Oklahoma and Western Arkansas, I am getting to know about the rest of the state. As a kid and later, I rode across the state on my way to other states, but I didn't pay much attention. Eastern Oklahoma has lakes and trees and hills. Western Oklahoma has, well, land and wind.

Now as I visit the towns out west, the architect in me notices something that I don't see at home.There are many unique buildings out there. It is not unusual to see round buildings, curved walls, richly detailed building whether schools, churches or banks. It takes progressive people to agree to take chances--very cool chances.

Which brings me to a story: In the early 90's I took a class as part of Leadership Northeast Oklahoma. The speaker was the founder of Banc First taught me about the people who came to the state. Eastern Oklahoma was mainly settled by the Indian tribes that were forced to move here by the Government. Later they were joined by poor blacks and whites that came because they were too poor for "Arkansas"!

In Western Oklahoma Plains Indians were already there, but were joined by the Great Land Runs. These people eagerly swept into the territory for a new life.

As the teacher stated: Eastern Oklahoma people were not there by choice. Western Oklahoma people came with purpose. Western Okies were adventurous while Eastern Okies were trying to hold what little they had.

So now as then: Eastern Oklahoma is conservative---very, conservative. Western Oklahoma takes chances and has firm direction.

While Oil is still King in this state, Oklahoma City (west) is making GREAT strides. Tulsa (east) is fighting and worrying about every little thing.

Think about it: Even in the Panhandle its natural gas and Wind Farms and wealthy little town. It is no longer "No Man's Land"!

No comments: