Saturday, October 29, 2011

Rum Diary: Pirates of the Caribbean 1960



I needed a silly movie today after spending the day watching college football. The football was great but the sports guys talk endlessly about everything.

I knew I was in for a great time when the ticket seller asked me for my i.d.! Maybe it was because I looked under 17 for an "R" rated movie or maybe she did not think I should get a "senior" ticket.
I had fun with it.

The Movie is based on a Hunter S. Thompson novel, "The Rum Diary" starring Johnny Depp and a great cast. The story is set in the Caribbean in 1960 and has a host of pirates in the form of ruthless land grabbing, lying wealthy white guys. Depp's character is a journalist who takes a job for a failing newspaper in Puerto Rico. He is a hard drinking fun loving guy who gets into much, much trouble. The movie is "R" for the frequent use of the F-bomb. In some weird way Depp is the only sane person in the show.

I liked it. If you squint you can see a little Jack Sparrow.
I give it **3/4 stars.

2011 Movie #50

No comments: