Friday, October 28, 2011

Pennies on the sidewalk


Today I stopped at a convenience store for gas (fuel this time) and saw a penny by the pumps. I'm always finding pennies on sidewalks and especially at such stops. I have seen people intentionally throw pennies down. AND, I'm sure many just fall from some one's hand and they won't stoop for one cent. As a kid, I heard about finding a single penny. It's a lucky penny. Some think that it must be heads up to be lucky. When I was in grade school, a penny would buy gum, penny candy (small tootsie roll or peanut log, etc.) or be the start toward a Coke.

Now I guess the thrill has gone.

Question: Do you pick them up? Now don't tell me that you don't because they are dirty. Every coin you receive has been handled by who knows what. Maybe, you are just well off and a penny is beneath you.

My answer: I pick up every one. How many times do you need a penny for change to keep from breaking a dollar? Oh, I see you use a debit card. You pay even more to NOT carry pennies.

I pick them up. Why? It's money! It is a little known fact that you make more money picking up pennies than buying lottery tickets.

Incidentally, I checked google before writing this to see if there was reason to drop them that I didn't know. I read about the good luck stories and stories about young people who make fun of those who would stoop to this.

Know this: Mike Stoops (not the football coach!)

No comments: