Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Art of Racing in the Rain


A few months ago I read Malcolm Gladwell's book, "What the Dog Saw". It is a great collections of stories by I gifted writer. Now I am about to finish my latest read, a novel called, "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein.

The title of this book comes from the fact that the dog's owner is a sport car racer who is an expert in what else, racing in the rain. Being a race fan the racing element was great, although not the center of the story. It becomes more of a metaphor for the events that take place.

This novel is about Marriage, Kids, Death, Family Troubles,
Survival, what happens when people wish you ill, and communication. The communication expert is the Dog who is very observant. Having experience with all these subjects, this was a very, very true slice of life. Rarely do I get truly upset at fictional characters. I did this time. Rarely do fictional things make me rethink how I communicate. This story taught me a couple of lessons.
I have even started to look at my dog differently.

This is one of my favorite reads in a while. This is a must to be made into a movie and I have already set the cast.

It is not a long read (listen in my case) but a good one. If you see me driving aimlessly around town tomorrow, I am finishing the book.

If this was a movie, I would give it ***** stars.

No comments: