Sunday, October 16, 2011

Oklahoma Surfers


When I was in college, I played one record album every night when we turned the lights out in our dorm room. It was The Ventures "Surfing". This was at the height of the California Surfing music period when our radios was filled with the Beach Boys, Jan & Dean, Dick Dale and the Ventures. If the sound is on on your computer,
I have my favorite song of the Ventures playing: "Pipeline". Little did I know that while the music was about California Surf the lead guitar player was Bob Bogle of Oklahoma. He was joined in the band by Nokie Edwards (fellow Okie) and others.

This year we will honor both with induction into the Oklahoma Music Hall of Fame. Okie Surfer Music at its best. I was shocked to learn of the Oklahoma influence.

It's time to "Hang Ten" on the Arkansas River!

No comments: