Saturday, October 15, 2011

The Big Year



I was worn out from football today so we went to the movies and saw, "The Big Year". It is rated PG50. Young Adults won't understand it. The humor is subtle but good. The life lesson is strong.
But bird watching won't beat chases, fights and sex for some. There is sex in this movie, but its Eagle sex.

The movie is about a true event. Which "Birder" will see the most species of birds in 365 days in the USA. It is the honor system but those that do it travel thousands of miles. The three stars represent a rich guy who wants to retire (Steve Martin), the defending champ and contractor, (Owen Wilson) and a young guy who hates his job, divorced, etc. (Jack Black). The rich guy's firm needs him and he is about to be a grandfather. The Contractor's wife is trying to get pregnant through fertility procedures, and the young guy is out money and his Dad is having medical problems.

This is a story about doing what YOU want to do at the expense of family, business and again FAMILY. This is about "Birding" but it could have been about golf, fishing/hunting, racing, sports or Architecture!

There are strong statements in this about giving up part of your life to pursue a dream. Reminds me of the last statement of my post about Steve Jobs. I also reminds me of selfish parts of my life.

The movie is well acted and has a world class supporting cast. It is PG.

I give it ***1/2 stars. This is a Big Year of good movies.

2011 Movie # 49 (I do this WITH my wife)

No comments: