Sunday, July 25, 2010

Three Slap Hug


I am NOT a Hugger. I tend to keep my hands to myself. I didn't grow up in an affectionate family, but my wife did. We went to a Family Reunion this weekend and there was 68 people there. Everyone hugs everyone, but they usually shake my hand. Some however insist on hugs (I really don't mind!). As a matter of fact I am somewhat a student of the hug. This time a counted.
1. Open your arms.
2. Wrap around.
3. With one hand: slap, slap, slap! (My wife's family sometimes goes up to five slaps)

I was at a meeting at our church with a group of men. After the final prayer, all 10 men started hugging. Slap, Slap, Slap Slap, Slap, Slap. Everyone did three slaps! Only someone like me would notice! It is a burden I carry and my parent's fault.

Now don't get me wrong, I really do appreciate hugs, authentic hugs.

At my church there are many huggers, also. They usually shake my hand.

I think there is a sign on my forehead: Shake not Stir!

FYI: I have learned to hug my family probably not as much as I should but I try.
My mother has even gotten use to it. Almost.

No comments: