Thursday, July 8, 2010

One Nation.......


I don't know if you caught the news article last week about the atheist group who put up a bill board that said, "One Nation Indivisible". Of course leaving out "Under God" got people HOT in a hurry. Well let me tell you a ten year old story.

In 2000 our architectural firm was renovating the four story county courthouse. We gutted the 1924 structure and rebuilt it from inside out. We also changed out the windows and power washed the lime stone. During construction I got a call from one of the County Commissioners.
He says, "Mike, I got a call from one of my supporters who just drove by the building and he says you took from "Under God" from the pledge of Allegiance on the wall out front. We can't have that." I set there a minute waiting for the punch line, but realized he was serious. I say, "Do you understand that the quotes is CARVED into the limestone? How could I pull out two "Carved words" and move the other carved words?' Then I added, "You may want to check your history. This building was built in 1924. "Under God wasn't added to the Pledge until 1956. I was in the third grade when it happened."

The phone went very silent.

YOU CAN"T MAKE THIS STUFF UP!

No comments: