Monday, April 5, 2010

Changing Times and Hot Rods!




The other day I stopped at the convenience store to get gas. A teenager pulled up in a 1978 Olds Cutlass. It was in fair shape with rust on the roof where a vinyl roof (remember those!) used to be. He was getting gas, also. Another young guy pulled up next to him in a red Spyder sports car (cool car) and gets out and comes up to the Olds and says, "Wow, when did you get this! This is so-o-o cool." The teenager says with pride that he just bought it. "How much did you have to pay? This is outstanding!"

By this time I'm saying to myself, "What did I just witness? A guy with a red sports car is making over this old junker!" I mean I bought a black Cutlass new in 1978 (like the one in the photo). It was a good car 32 years ago. I know what the kids do with them. they trick them out with rims and paint like the other car in the next photo.

As I drove down the road, I was still processing all this and it hit me. In 1964 I dreamed of having a 1932 Ford three window coupe. Never got one though. But a street rod would have been fantastic. Then I did the math. That 78 Olds is 32 years old. The rod I wanted was 32 years old when I was in school. The next generation is doing the same as mine did.

I don't like the tiny wheels or the giant wheels that they use. They probably think the racing slicks on the 32 Rod look stupid.

Such is life!

No comments: