Friday, March 6, 2009

Who watches the Watchmen?




Young person alert! The following old guy movie review is one you won't like.

Who watches the Watchmen? Unfortunately I did! This is a PG50 movie. No one over 50 will like it and no one under 50 should. Unless: I figure anyone who sets around killing people on their video games will love it. People who want to see the next shocking movie (Kill Bill, etc.) People who love slasher movies with a little sex thrown in will love it. People who like hard R cussing, killing, big naked guys (full frontal much of the time), cities blowing up, and people laughing while others are killed movies will think they have seen "Gone with the Wind"

This movie is "Gone with Special Effects".

When Superman came out, I liked it and every Superman movie since. I grew up with Superman comics, TV and all. I like Batman comics. When the campy Batman TV show came out, I was at NSU. All the guys packed the dorm TV room (twice a week). I have liked most all of the Batman movies. Dark Night was very good. Comic Book Movies since have been with superhero's that I did not gro up with. I knew about Spiderman and Hulk (I liked TV Hulk).
When Spiderman movie came out, I enjoyed it. When Spidey 2, it was ok. #3 was too cheesy. Something must change before I will see #4! Hulk was mediocre at best. I did not know who Ironman was and that movie was a Rush! Great Fun.

So when the trailer for "The Watchmen" started playing, I guess I was hoping for a edgy movie but like Ironman. WRONG! The time setting for this movie is 1985 and Nixon has just been elected for the 5th time. That is all I'm telling. I have stopped reading fiction where some mass murderer is on the loose killing people in more shocking ways than before. I don't want to see it at the movies either. You have several superheroes some retired some not, some you like, some you hate. You even have one that the show as actually killing Kennedy! I guess I am too old.

Consider this as taking one for the team. If you like this one or see this one, I fear you are in one of the previous categories. Not a good one for teens. I give it * star, maybe.

No comments: