Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Apples and Oranges




I have been traveling more the last two years and have more trips scheduled. Being lazy, I have grown tired of lugging my laptop through airports and on planes. I went to the big box stores and looked at the new "net books". These are small computers with screens from 8 to 10 inches (about like a portable DVD player). They weigh about 2 1/2 lbs and seemed like a good deal. On closer inspection they hold about 16 gigs (same as my iphone). They get email and Internet (same as my iphone). They do not take cds or dvds (neither does my iphone). I now have a "net book" (It is called my iphone!).

Actually, the other part of the story is about my trips to Staples, Best Buy, and Office Depot. Every time I would ask a sales associate about a net book, they would say, "You really don't want one of these, you need this." This is always a slightly larger lap top. I finally saw a 13" super little Dell that had everything I wanted. I priced it and decided to wait. At Best Buy there is a Apple stand! Actually a table. I looked longingly at the Air (no dvd or cd port). It is super cool! I looked at the "macbooks" and saw what I needed for the same price as the Dell, but the Associates were not in the mode for someone like me so I was ignored.

I called my "I.T. guy" who does our office computers and asked what he thought of "imacs". he says no way (because he doesn't service them) and says it won't match up to my office pcs. I say, "Thats ok, it's for me!"

At the super slick Apple Store with it's hip staff, I ask a "sales associate" for assistance. I say that I want an "imac". I ask, "If I buy one, can I transfer all of my itunes from my PC to the imac? She says, "We will even do that for you." I'm good to go. She gets one for me and points me to the back of the store. If you have been to one of these stores, you will see no check out. Each person has a hand held scanner to swipe your card, etc. The problem is getting their attention. There are about four groups of Apple staff. Each group has a different color t-shirt and a different function. They all prefer to wait on younger more hip people than I. This IS a hip young store selling hip young products. And so they did (ignor me).

Someone finally saw me and graciously took my money. They did not tell me much about my purchase and I did not know enough to ask, until I got home.

Their computers are so efficient, that my iPhone starts getting emails before I leave the mall. #1 Thank You. #2 Verifying your appointment on Tuesday for the itunes transfer. #3 a Survey!

When I get home, I play with my new toy and then answer the survey. Under comments: I wrote: "It seems that your sales staff would rather wait on people their own age than with older people. I'm 61. But I have money!" Tacky, but fun!

Today, I was at the Apple store for my appointment and my phone rang. A pleasant voice said they were calling from the Apple Store and had some questions "concerning my recent visit". I said, "How ironic! I'm here now. The phone went dead!


PS: Great purchase. I have my apple harvest.

1 comment:

H. Shae said...

Welcome to the Mac Club. You are in good company!