Monday, October 6, 2008

Zealots along the road

Today's TIME magazine has an article about a new satirical movie out called "An American Carol". It is a story about a liberal democrat who goes thru the "Christmas Carol" type story to see the error of his ways. That is not what I want to bring up. The director, David Zucker, who directed "Airplane" and "The Naked Gun" is a Republican in Hollywood. He says that to admit voting Republican "I preface it by saying I've been convicted of child molestation, and that breaks the ice. Then being Republican doesn't seem so bad to them."

Story 2: Yesterday at church a friend told me about going door to door on behalf of a local democrat. At several homes when they saw that he was a democrat, he said they treated him as filth. One lady said, "You believe in Abortion and Gay Rights!" He tried to say that he did not, but ......

Guilt by association. My Mother always warned me about that.

A few years ago a friend of mine had the opportunity to go to work for a "Christian University" and he asked me for advice. I told him that private schools totally depend of donations from wealthy patrons and I said, "You will be fired for being a Democrat before you would be fired for a unsuitable Biblical belief." After he had taken the job, he called to tell me that I was totally correct and that it took less than a month before it came to light.

At church last Wednesday we talked about favoritism as discussed in the Book of James. While we did not talk much about politics, recent happenings with church Pastors and Ministers telling members how a Christian should Vote or I should say which candidate to support, the zealots have finally arrived. It doesn't matter if it is a black preacher saying to support Obama or a Conservative Baptist Pastor warning against Obama and for McCain.

I, now (not here of course) do not discuss my politics with other Christians for fear of being seen as "One on the well travelled road to Hell". I have heard too many conversations and received too many mass e-mails to know that I should keep shut. If things keep on the direction the USA is heading, we are going past RED state/BLUE State to symbols stamped on our clothes or foreheads.

Now to my point: When Jesus was walking around on earth, Jews weren't concerned about Gay Rights. The Romans were in power. They were the conquerors. The Romans as you will remember were known for orgies (homosexual and hetro), killing babies, etc. I was always told that the Zealots (mentioned in the Bible) wanted the Savior to mount a fight against Rome (against the evil administration, left wing judges, and heavy taxes). WWJD

Jesus did not have time for this stuff. He talked more about the religious leaders who tried to control everyone and made just one comment about Caesar: "Give to Caesar what is Caesar."
His idea of the needs of the day had to do with healing broken lives not broken governments.
His one venture into politics was to reach out to a democrat (Zacchaeus, the tax collector). He didn't make many points for that! He talked about helping the poor, restoring lives, healing the sick and saving people.

I think our forefathers knew what was best when they talked of Liberty.
I think Jesus knew what was best when he talked about Love.