Wednesday, October 29, 2008

How my mind works

I was in my hometown this weekend and ran into (not literally) the ex-wife of a high school classmate (Larry). Two days later I was in Morris, Oklahoma at the high school. We are doing a project for Morris schools and was in the school gym. This reminded me of something that happened years ago in Morris when I was a mere irresponsible lad.

My school basketball team was not very good as I have previously allowed. When your not very good you focus on things that have nothing to do with the game. For example, my senior year, Doyle, the best player on the team, and me would actually play "horse" during warm ups! But I digress.

We had noticed that at every game, Larry always wanted to be first out on the court as the team left the locker room. So at Morris one night the rest of us made a deal. We were in the dressing room and watched Larry position himself to be first out. So the team came together to do one big cheer before running onto the court. We all shouted and Larry ran out the door and out on to the court and dribbled straight to the basket and made a wild shot and missed the backboard. We were still in the doorway to the gym!

I know that wasn't nice, but at 17 things seemed funnier. After all we were on our way to 0-22!

No comments: