Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Big Scores 2

NOTE: Read the blog below "Irate sports parents" before reading this.

A high school score of 91-0 sounds big. Sounds crazy. How do you think the losing players feel?
I can tell you from experience. In 1965 I was a Senior at Haskell. Our arch rival was Coweta. Coweta in 65 was the same size as Haskell and our towns were 10 miles apart. In football Haskell beat Coweta 24-20. It was their first loss on their home field in 4 years. When basketball season arrived, things changed. Coweta was #1 in the state and had 2 players averaging 35 points a game each. Haskell had lost every game the year before and had not won a game by the time we visited Coweta. As a team we were not averaging as many points as either of their best players!

The game began and at the end of the first quarter the score was 25-2! By half-time we doubled our score and so did Coweta, 50-4. We went end to the dressing room and coach Dixon said: "Boys, I wonder what they would say if we just sneaked out and got on the bus and left." We eagerly supported his idea, but he responded, "You made this bed. You have to sleep in it."

It is important at this point to add this note: On a win less team, I was not good enough to start! I was the 6th man. The reason I say this is that our one really good player fouled out in the third quarter, and I replaced him. He was our top scorer. I made a good showing though and at the end of the night, I was third high scorer on our team with 2 points! 2 free throws!

Final Score: 97 - 19. On the bus heading home, we glowed that we stopped them from scoring 100.


We rallied in the rematch at our gym a month later. I even started and scored the first 2 points of the game! Final score 86 to 40 something! We lost of course.

Team picture: Can you find me?

No comments: