Thursday, October 23, 2008

mike goes to church 1

NOTE: Read Spider Solitaire first.

I have just finished a fairly long run as an elder in the church that I attend. Our church uses two terms for this spiritual leader (elder and shepherd). The term "elder" comes from the idea of the eldest in the tribe should have the wisdom and the life experiences to help the church family survive and advance. The term "shepherd" comes from the idea of one who oversees a "Flock" of people who look to him as a guide, encourager, protector (or anything else a shepherd may do.

I preferred the term Elder (I'm getting old) and because I believe as Solomon that when I pray the principle thing to ask for is wisdom. I also have only one prayer at night for the past two years. I recite the 23rd Psalm and that has been a major benefit in my life. It starts, "The LORD is my shepherd I shall not want," It is hard for me to call myself a shepherd because of who my Shepherd is.

So anyhow, I have stepped aside as an Elder. Because of changes in society and in the church, I felt the urge and the LORD seems to have been OK with it. Sunday I will be out of town and the other elders will read my letter to the church. I like it that way! The letter they will read is what I wrote except for a couple of sentences that they will not read. It is not censorship. they weren't comfortable because of the questions that they may produce and I told them when I gave the letter that I didn't care if the edited or not. My statement was: this is my reason and not because I am too busy. They even offered to wait two weeks and let me read it and I said, "NO WAY."

NOTE: I like and respect our PLT and elders.

Sunday I will blog about the missing sentences!

For now I will tell you this: I don't know your beliefs about divine intervention or how you think the LORD works in your life, but as for me, I believe that the LORD wanted me to change course along the road. Things immediately started happening that I could not foresee. I am not saying that I am being used for some noble cause, but I believe the idea that we are all called "for such a time as this." I believe that things are going to happen in my life that could not happen if I had stayed an Elder and I believe that in a small way or large the church will benefit.

Next: When everyone is in charge, no one is responsible to act responsibly!

No comments: