Monday, March 31, 2014

The Grand Budapest Hotel (not the Bible version)


I went to see the "Grand Budapest Hotel" and while it did not follow scripture, I have it on good authority that it may be as close to scripture than say "Noah".

This movie IS an acciquired taste.  It is a film by Wes Anderson who also made the recent "Moonrise Kingdom".  It even has many of the cast from Moonrise.  Anderson's movies are not  laugh out loud comedies. They are over-the-top fast paced silly stories that are acted out with great skill.  Like "Moonrise Kingdom" I had a smile on my face from beginning to end, but rarely laughed out loud.

At times it seems like an old fashioned melodrama and then suddenly I was caught totally off guard.

It is the story of a imagined European Luxury Hotel in the 1930's in an imaginary country just before a war.  It is almost like a Marx Brother's movie but the cast: Ralph Fiennes, Bill Murray, Willem Dafoe, Jeff Goldblum, Edward Norton, Tilda Swinton, Adrien Brody, Jason Schwartzman and F. Murray Abraham.  Ralph Fiennes stars as the Hotel operator who has affairs with rich old ladies.  The story centers around one such lady who dies and leaves her famous possession (a famous painting) the him.  He is accused of murder and the chase is on.

It is are for F-words and old people nudity.  Not much of either.

I liked it because it was very creative and made me smile for two hours.

I give it ***1/2 stars. 2014 movie #13

No comments: