Thursday, March 27, 2014

My worlds collide this week: Women in the Church

Recently , on a personal level, I considered a vision for the Church that I attend. As I began to think, I was surprised by the direction that I was pulled.  

I have wondered for a while about the current crop of Christians age 25-40.  They do NOT respond to the things that hooked me at that age.  They don't want to hear still another talk or sermon, they want to experience it.  I have always been a "Can do" person, but not like this group.  I have also noticed that the women in that bracket are more invested than most of the guys. This is a generational thing.  My age group accepted equality. This group practices it.

I started investigating it last year by reading blogs by Richard Beck and my reading of the book, "the Blue Parakeet by Scot McKnight.  

So, in my vision, I saw a church community that empowered the above age group to LEAD us to the future.  This will require both men and WOMEN.  Yes, I am talking about Women Leaders and Teachers. Women Deacons.  I could even accept Women Elders.  After I wrote it down, I reflected that I am in the minority traditionally.  I am not in the minority theologically.  I am at the same place I was in the 1960's when I was taught that Blacks and Whites were equal.  Funny how the Scriptures magically changed before my eyes.

I went to the Tulsa Workshop last week and listened to the talk of Ken Cukrowski, Head of the Bible Department at Abilene Christian, speak on the subject: "A Fly on the wall: What Elders are thinking at gender-inclusive Churches".  It was the first of three parts (I had to order the rest), but it was the BIBLE part. I realized that  People ARE talking about this!

Then two nights ago I listened to an interview with Jimmy Carter about his new book, "A Call To Action - Women, Religion,Violence  and Power".   (reading it now.)

He discusses the problems that the world has created by seeing women as not equal to men.  Yes, he does discuss women's role in the Church.  His independent Baptist Church in Georgia has 50% women Deacons including the Chair.

So when I look at the future of the Church, I believe Gender equality as a key to reach this generation.  AND we don't have the rewrite the BIBLE to do it.  We just have to read the REST of it.

Yes, You can teach an old dog.

No comments: