Saturday, March 1, 2014

Son of God Movie



No, this is not a review.

Several years ago when the New International Version of the Bible was published, my Dad got a copy and spent a day comparing it the the King James Version. It passed his test - barely.  The Revised Standard Version did not pass his test.

I tell this to say: As a Believer, I am not eager to see this movie.  I know this sounds unChristian but what is the point?   If I see it will I be grading it's story versus the story in my Bible.  It clearly will not reveal anything new to me.  ir may show special effects that weren't possible the last time around, but I did see the previews.  The actor playing Jesus looks identical to every black velvet Jesus and painting of Jesus in my life - a white guy, not a Jew.  For me the only challenging portrait of Christ, lately,  is the one the the fictional "The Shack".  That made he think for a long time.

But Mike you say:  What about those who don't know the Story of Jesus?  I think they SHOULD see it!

Let's not lose sight that we have to PAY to see this Jesus.  This movie is for profit. It is not a public service.  It is made because someone said, "Hey, this Duck Dynasty thing is a big market.  Lrt's tap into that.  All Christians will think they have to go." (fictional)

This is another case where I bet the book is better than the movie.


Sounds cynical I know. It just hits me wrong.   I think you should go though.

My Jesus does not need Hollywood.

No comments: