Thursday, June 21, 2012

Welcome to the Fishbowl

I don't know if I have told you, but I didn't use to like  Kenny Chesney.  I could not get by songs like, "She thinks my tractor's sexy!" BUT I have mellowed and so has he.  His brand of Caribbean Country fits great with Jimmy Buffett & Zac Brown.

His new CD, "Welcome to the Fishbowl" is GREAT!

It seems like every country singer has formula songs: A small town song, a rock song, a party song, a tug the heart strings song, etc. Kenny does that too but he does it right.

Small town song: "I'm a Small Town" tells a story from a  town's point of view. It is a more accurate story of growing up in small town America than others.  It doesn't talk of getting drunk and painting water towers, it talks of all the emotions and events in its history: Deaths, first kiss, learning the ride a bike, and even wanting to leave.  It is very well written.

Heart String song: "While he knows who I am" tells the story of a guy who has a dad that is going deeper into alzheimer's. His mother tells him that he is loosing his memory and the son is going home to see him "while he still knows who I am". All I will tell you is I write this with a huge lump in my throat for even thinking about it.  The other day when I listened for the first time while on a trip, I cried.

Rock Song:  "Whatever Makes You Feel like a Rock Star" is a fun song kenny and Tim McGraw singing together.

"Sing'em Good My Friend" is about a man selling his guitar to Kenny because his wife is dying and he is selling everything for her.  It is also a story of regret because the guitar was more important to him than family.  He tells of all the events he missed while on the road.  Great Stuff.

I'm not going to write about every song. You should explore for yourself.

I will say that the documentary about the making of this CD is available on I Tunes and will help you enjoy it even more.

If I was rating CDs this would be *****star.

FYI  The CD title is a song about a world where no one is safe from the intrusion of photos, videos, and messages that invade our privacy.


No comments: