Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Darling Companion

I am loose in OKC so I checked for a good independent movie and found one a mile from the hotel. Though you probably haven't seen any previews, it is worth the time. It is directed by Lawerence Kasdan. If the name does not ring a bell think: "The Big Chill", "Grand Canyon" and "Silverado".
Sine all of those are favorites of mine, I thought it worth the risk even though Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 21% rating.  I guess the reviewers are all young.

Like Marigold Hotel was about Retired People, This movie is about a couple in their 60's and facing empty nest.  He (Kevin Kline) is a surgeon with a busy practice. She (Diane Keaton) is feeling alone and takes in a stray dog.

The main part of the movie takes place in the Rockies at their vacation lodge which is the site of their last daughter's wedding.  The Doc takes the dog for a walk and the dog runs away.  The remainder of the story involves hunting for the dog.  The real story is the lives of the participants including the actors: Dianne Wiest, Richard Jenkins,Sam Shepard, Mark Duplas and Ayelet Zurer.




It is a smile all the time movie.  The actor that I liked best was the dog. He reminded me of my boyhood dog REX.

I give it *** stars



2012 Movie #21

No comments: