Friday, June 29, 2012

TED - mike breaks a rule

Okay,  Sometimes I get drawn in. Tempted is the correct word. I like comedies.  I like Mark Walberg movies. I like off the wall comedy.  "Ted" seemed like it had all of that.  The "R" bothered me. How bad WOULD IT BE?  Take out the filthy talking bear and it would be okay. But hears the deal: The boy's teddy bear becomes magically real and when the bear becomes 35, he is now a blue collar Boston teddy guy who is hard drinking, drugging and wise cracking.

Think of it this way: Take the movie "Big" with Tom Hanks and make it "R" rated. Take the movie, "Gremlins" and make the little varmints a bunch of cussing drinking animals.  Take "E,T. " and make him want to get laid.  now you have the plot.   

The story is milder than the current crop of R-rated comedies, and I would be lying if I said that it wasn't funny.  The director is the creator of Family Guy and the voice of Ted.  He takes shots at all society.  He makes fun of the races, of popular entertainers, and of the demographic the movie is made for: Under 40.  Anyone who grew up in the 1980's and the music, movies and TV are the targets.

I believe my son and daughter would like this.  I felt old setting in this movie, but when I walked out a saw an old client of mine and the first thing he said was, "Hi Ted."  I said to him, "WE are too old to think this is funny!  He said, "I know! Wasn't it fun?"

So I promised myself that I would go to fewer movies and make wiser decisions. I feel off the wagon, tonight.

This movie is like hearing Ron White. You know you shouldn't like it, but you can't help your self .

The cameos in this movie are crazy from the singer, Nora Jones, to the guy who played "Flash Gordon" in the silly 80's movie.  He plays himself!

I can't use any of this at church though.  AND I can not recommend for the same reason as the "Hangover". this is milder though.

I give it **3/4 stars.  2012 movie 22.

No comments: