Thursday, December 23, 2010

This movie has True Grit






Yes, it is time for the great movies for the Christmas season. Tonight it was the Coen Brother's new movie "True Grit". The brothers have made many of my favorite movies including "O Brother", "Fargo", "Raising Arizona", Blood Simple" and "No Country for Old Men". I clearly remember the John Wayne version of True Grit with Glen Campbell and I have always thought that it was a week movie where Mr. Wayne just played John Wayne and they gave him an Academy Award because he had not been honored. This time it is Jeff Bridges and Matt Damon. The movie is true to the book and the dialogue is tremendous. It is fun, it has action, and it portrays our part of the world in a noble fashion. The movie is set in Oklahoma Territory and Fort Smith. While I don't know where they filmed it, I looked right. I bring this up because the John Wayne version had the Rockies as a back drop in most scenes. I will say again this is a great movie. The girl that plays Mattie is superb also. It is a story where the 13 year old is the mature one and the grown men act like kids.

I did notice that Jeff Bridges and John Wayne had their eye patch over different eyes! Jeff pulls off the drunken Marshall better than the clean cut John Wayne, Pilgrim.

I give this movie ***** stars.

2010 Movie #58

No comments: