Friday, December 31, 2010

Reflections of 2010

2010 started with great promise and ended badly (business wise). We built our architectural firm around great talent and stretched to have everything necessary to serve our clients. We expanded our Tulsa office and we hired additional staff. Our great promise crashed in the last month losing a possible $26,000,000 in work by failing votes. We have been forced to downsize and start again. Our staff is still top notch, but we will need things to rebound, if we are to be who we should be.

I also realize that there is much more to life than business success. I would work for McDonald's if I could care for my family. I have gained much in my life and I have many good years left to excel in architecture. My focus is to grow as a person, a father, and husband, a PaPa, a friend and most of all, as a follower of My LORD and Shepherd.

I have been blessed much this year:

*Our grand-daughter, Kinley, was born and is our PERFECT Grand-daughter. Even though she lives in the wilderness of Texas, we relish every chance to see her and Lindsey and Jeremy.

* Avery, Addison and Asher have made my life more complete. I see in my grand children things and times that I thoughtlessly let slip with my children. Grand Children gives us a second chance to do it right. I covet my time with the Triple A's.

*I am also extremely proud of my kids and their spouses. Both families are such great parents. They please me in wondrous ways.

*Nate in our business has such a vision of the possibilities and will be key in turning our firm around. Lindsey is growing in her career and has moved up the ladder quickly. Both know how to serve others.

*My wife, Carol, is my best friend and the glue of my life. She continues to surprise, to radiate love, and to show others the way to live life correctly.

*I am growing in my journey with my LORD, not in ways anyone would notice, but in a more trusting relationship. I want to walk with GOD.

* My Church continues to grow because we have great leaders that show me how to live, how to worship, and how I should be more of a servant than is my nature. This year, if you read my blog, you witnessed my conflict with a couple of Christian brothers. It was not a pleasant experience but is was necessary in the great scheme of things. I expect it to be resolved in 2011.

* Now to the year's trivia:

Best Concert experiences: Carole King & James Taylor
ACM Awards and Brooks and Dunn Tribute in Vegas
Best performance: Jennifer Hudson singing "Believe" at the Brooks & Dunn Concert.
Best event: Blue Man Group Tour
Favorite Performers: Brad Paisley and Paul Thorn (saw them twice)
Best Architecture: City Center in Las Vegas
Best Trip: Whenever Carol is in the truck with me.
Favorite Books: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series, and Crazy Love

1 comment:

Holly RM said...

Happy New Year, Mike!