Friday, December 3, 2010

One of those times!


A year ago tomorrow, I went to a function at my college. An alumni friend came to me during the reception and said, "Mike, have you heard that the University is going to build a new arena? You need to get involved in that. Let me introduce you to the new athletic director." So he does.

Note: I have been involved in three major university arenas and numerous (30+)secondary school facilities.

I met with the AD and agree to help him get the project off the ground so that fund raising can start. He tells me that he will help me get the project once funded. I want to help the University and Sports facilities is what I know. So for the past year I have met with everyone from the President of the University to alums, providing drawings sketches and anything asked.

Note: I have been President of this University's Alumni Association.

The VP for Development tells me this summer that even though our firm will get the job, they have to go through the interview process. Two weeks ago we had the interviews.

Note: I am the only architect interviewed that went to this school and the only one that has season tickets to this school's basketball games!

Monday, I found out that the Athletic Director who I worked closely with has left the school for an AD job in California! OUCH.

Today the VP called me to tell me what a great presentation we had and how impressed everyone was and how we had the right team for the job and how WE CAME IN SECOND BY ONE VOTE!

Seems one of the voters liked really big firms, so they hired a really big firm.

Tomorrow night is that big annual gala function again. Guess how much fun that will be?

This one is a really, really, really hurt.




No comments: