Monday, November 29, 2010

things that go Bump.

I was reading a chapter in the Book, "Christ Plays in Ten Thousand Places" with some background music playing. I don't know how the world works or the Spirit, but Willie Nelson and others came out of my ipod and startled me. They were singing what I was reading! Living in the Promised Land, connecting our lives with those around us, and all.

The passage: "We can attempt to withdraw, and many of us try, -- pick up our marbles, as our children say, and go home. It is fairly common as a stock response. It seems like an easy option but it turns out not to be effective in the long run. It looks like we are stuck with one another ("all the families of earth") in the grand arena of creation and as the huge drama of history plays to a full house. But it doesn't mean we have to like it. And it doesn't mean that we can't arrange something less demanding, or manageable. How about a Sect? Not exactly a denial of community but excluding as much of it as we are able and then redefining it to accommodate me." Eugene Peterson

The "accommodate me" is damning.

I can be a democrat without being responsible as a citizen of the Nation.
I can be pro-life with helping anyone in need.
I can be a "Christian" without being like Christ.
I can be an OSU fan but not share the idea of sportsmanship.
I can be a critic but not participate.

I can go on and on.

No comments: