Thursday, November 18, 2010

Concert Distractions


We went to a Paul Thorn Concert, Wednesday in Tulsa at the Historic Cain's Ballroom. We went out to eat before the show and as a consequence we got too late to get a good seat. We set at a table at the back of the room and most of us could see good, but I stood beside the table.

In the middle of the concert Paul decided to sing three or four songs with just an acoustical guitar and the room acoustics. Before he started he asked the audience to be quite so it would work. As he started to sing, two young guys (20's) standing about 15 feet from me shouted. "Mic your guitar! Mic your Guitar!" Paul turned to them and said, "Do this!" putting his hand to his ear as if straining to hear. The audience laughed. Well, the two guys kept talking about amps and such and those around them kept giving them "looks" (meaning "let us hear"). They kept talking and getting louder. I took a few steps and grabbed the long haired guy's arm (gently but firm) and I leaned in to them and said, "We are trying to hear. You Guys Shut Up!" I stepped back to my post and they looked at me and sort of waved at me. I grinned back and they shut up. The lady at the next table came over and said, "I don't know what you said but Thanks."

Should have ended there.

The other guy (short hair) continued to eye me. After a while he walks over and stands in front of me but to the side (not blocking my view). Then he sets his beer down on the table near my wife and near my chair. I can see that he is baiting me, but all I am thinking is, "If he starts to set in that chair, I am yanking it out from under him. Max who was with us then gets up and walks back and stands next to me. Short Hair picks up his bottle and backs up next to me and stands. He finally leans toward me and says, "Two years ago He (Long Hair) would have kicked your ass." I am thinking what does two years ago mean? He continues, "He wasn't disrespecting Paul. He even went to see Paul Thorn to weeks ago with John Prine. But you (meaning me) disrespected them (Long Hair and Short Hair). I looked at him and smiled and replied, "Look if I offended you I'm sorry, but we came hear to listen to Paul and not you guys."

He turned and went over to Long Hair and they mumbled between themselves and then just left!

So I'm thinking: They are either waiting outside for me or they are thinking, "That old dude is crazy."

They weren't outside and I had many friends with me.

No comments: