Saturday, October 9, 2010

The State Fair






When I was a kid, The fair was a "big deal". This will date me but The "Free State Fair" was just that- free admission (they charged to park!). With three dollars you could have a great time. Most all the rides were a dime except for a couple of big rides that cost a quarter. The exotic food was limited to cotton candy, but for some reason, a hamburger on the midway tasted wonderful.

I stayed away from livestock because pigs and cows were everyday things. I did like to go to the 4H exhibits where one of the competitions was to create models of farms. (I like models.)

But the fair has changed. This year we went with the grandsons. The highlight is the petting and feeding zoo. They were charged up. Asher was just discovering these new creatures up close and had a ball. They rode a couple of rides but they seemed to enjoy the whole atmosphere. Lets face it the fair crowd is just "interesting". The butterfly pavilion was also a great addition to the experience,

We did eat our way around the place (My only plan). I have rules and they are strict. I must have a polish with cooked onions and peppers, corn dog, ice cream, and deep fried snickers.

This year I also got a bite of Nate's "Krispy Kreme hamburger." A hamburger between two donuts that tasted good. I don't know which Nobel Prize scientist thought of that but keep up the good work!

Mind you I share my food so my weight watcher points were only "three day's worth".

The boys wanted something to buy and that is also tradition. I can remember my days past, staring at the ball cap-like hats that they sold where they would write your name in sparkles. How cool to wear something with my name on it. And it would last at least 4 days.

You're only young once but you can be immature always. Thank You FAIR.

No comments: