Saturday, June 5, 2010

Duck out of water


Some of my favorite movies use the theme, "Duck out of water". The idea of someone being placed in a strange setting is fun ("Back to the Future" or "Castaway"). OR Someone who is in over their heads ("Date Night" or "Hangover" or almost any movie). It produces underdogs that become heroes, tension, anticipation, and surprises. It makes life interesting.

When I started Spaces, Design & Architecture (SDA) 17 years ago, I adopted a mascot, the
Sitting Duck. I have a print by Michael Bedard in my office (the copy shown here). I think of our firm as SDA (Sitting Duck Architecture). Good design comes from tension, exploring the untested, surprises and being edgy. It makes for Sitting Ducks.

On this anniversary of my trips around the sun I realize again that I am a "duck out of water" . I have had to stretch way beyond my abilities and have had to live on the edge most of my days being under funded, under lucky, and over ambitious. But I can't imagine it any other way.

DO what you can with what you have, where you are! The motto of Sitting Ducks who are "ducks out of water".

No comments: