Friday, May 28, 2010

The Worm in Me


Note: I used to teach a Sunday School class titled, "Life Lessons". The classes were from current experiences and my thoughts and reactions based on teachings in the Bible. This would have been the basis for one such class.


I have mowed our lawn three times so far this year and have started to notice something that makes no sense. Yesterday there were about 8-10 dead worms on the driveway (baked to a crisp). I suppose that during the night they came up from he ground and tried to get across the concrete to the other side. I don't know that as fact because I assume they could go beneath as well, but they were there when the sun came up.


I checked google about worms and learned that while they have no eyes, they sense light and move away from it. If they are exposed to light for an hour they become paralyzed and then start to dry. They basically fry!


Under ground they have the ability to regrow parts of there body that separates but on the surface the sun is there enemy and so is the "early bird". Why don't they have the ability to warn each other? But without eyes they don't see the other worm bodies laying about.


As I made my laps on the tractor, I thought about this and posed the question to myself. Why do I keep doing things that make me start "drying out and becoming paralyzed?" I have eyes. I have people who can warn me. I can see the the bodies of those who have tried things they shouldn't have. But I keep finding myself out on the concrete hoping that I can find a shady spot before the hot sun comes. AND THE SUN DOES GET HOT!


Preachers like to tell stories like this about frogs in hot water. They like the warm water and don't jump out etc., etc. But life is like the worm not the frog. No body puts the worm on the concrete, he goes on his own.


There is a life lesson there. I wish I could learn it!
Of course if this was my class time, I wouldn't stop there. I would say that there are other things the worm does not possess. While it has a God who created it, it does not have the promises given to me. I SHOULD look the the Light, because, "The LORD is My Shepherd, I shall not want."

No comments: