Sunday, May 16, 2010

Robin Hood without tights!






I must say up front that I am bias. I grew up with "Robin Hood". In the 50s there was a TV show, The Adventures of Robin Hood and that's where I learned about Robin, Little John, Friar Tuck, Maid Marion and the Sheriff of Nottingham. It took the country by storm and all us 10 year olds ran around with green hats and bow & arrows. I'm not talking about rubber suction arrows. they sold us bows with metal tipped arrows to play with in the yard. Nothing was safe including us!


Only later did I learn that Erl Flynn was the first movie Robin. Since then I have seen every version from the Disney cartoons, to Mel Brook's "Men in Tights" to the Kevin Costner version to the new version which is actually a prequel.

I like this version just fine, thank you. It is even a good christian movie (No cussing and plenty of violence). By today's standards it is slow because there are no major explosions or people flying. As for it being like "Gladiator", I remind that Robin was created first! It has a good cast and a very good story. The story is how Robin Hood started and about England in the 12th century as the troops were returning from the Crusades. This movie is probably PG50 and more suited to Baby Boomers because it has a story to tell.

I liked it! I give it ***1/2 stars. 2010 Movie #19

No comments: