Thursday, April 16, 2009

Books


I am still reading The Blue Parakeet. Real reading is so slow. But it is still a great read whenever I can.  However, in my other reading room (the truck) I just finished a good book.  You see driving to places like Stillwater, Stilwell, Poteau, Twin Hills, and Tulsa gives me hours of reading (listening).  The book was "I Shouldn't Even Be Doing This (and Other Things That Strike Me as Funny) by Bob Newhart.  It is a memoir and auto-biographical glimpse of his life and career.  He tells great stories about his stand-up act, his TV shows and movies.  He started in the 50's and is still going. This is one time when I say again, you must get the audio.  He does many of his routines (voices and all).  He also does a good job doing the voices of some famous comedians.

His first album, "The Button Down Mind of Bob Newhart" was also one of the first that a bought as a high school kid. I had forgotten that in 1960 it not only won the Grammy for the best Comedy album, it won best album of the year beating out Frank Sinatra and others AND was the top selling record in 1960 and 1961!

It has good memories for those of us that remember the 1960s.  Yikes!




No comments: