Saturday, August 9, 2008

Paul Thorn - A new favorite singer/songwriter

I was driving along the other day listening to the Bob Edwards show on XM Radio. If you don't know, Bob is possibly the best interviewer I have ever listened to. This day he was replaying one of his favorite shows (Vacation filler) and the guest was a singer named Paul Thorn from Mississippi. His music is gospel influenced country rock. He is a great story teller. he has worked in a chair factory and McDonald's. He was a boxer and once went 8 rounds with Roberto Duran. His dad is a Pentecostal preacher and he performed with his dad in tent meetings and revivals since he was 3. He lived a sheltered life and could not go to movies, dances, etc. So when he left home at 18, he played his music in pizza places. The FIRST concert he ever attended was to OPEN for Sting in Hollywood before 30,000 people. Since then he has opened for Sting, Jeff Beck, Mark Knopfler, and is now touring with Huey Lewis. Since hearing the show Friday, I have purchased 4 cds and downloaded the Bob Edwards interview from I tunes. If you do downloads try it YOU WILL LIKE IT! He also has a My Space page with YOU TUBE videos.

His songs are about life, some humorous, some with much much food for thought. If I can load his songs on my music list below, I will. THIS GUY IS GOOD!

One of his fun songs is The Mission Temple Fire Works Stand which opens like this

"I saw a black man with a Bible and a sparkler in his hand.
He was holding a tent revival and running a fireworks stand.
He said the end of the world is coming, you better get on your knees.
Today bottle rockets are two for one, but the salvation is free!"

No comments: