Sunday, June 22, 2008

Wildest Dreams

One of the recurring statements about Tim Russert was that his occupation took him "beyond his wildest dreams" and that he started every day like he had just won the lottery. I pondered a while about my dreams concerning my occupation in architecture and relate well to his feelings. I have had the opportunity to do several things that I could not have expected.

1. I attended Haskell Schools, Northeastern State University and Oklahoma State. I have done multiple projects for all 3 schools.

2. At OSU my first design project was to design a church building for Perkins, Oklahoma. Because of my background, I picked a Church of Christ building for the site the professor had selected. 40 years later I was hired by the Perkins Church of Christ to design a building for them just two blocks east of the site of my school project.

3. While in college there was one building in Muskogee that I could not stand. Its original design was out of proportion and well "Crappy". I used to drive by the building and mentally change it. 6 years ago I was hired to remodel it!

4. Of the last 5 churches that I have attended, I have had the opportunity to design 3 of them and remodel another. I designed the the church building of the church I attend, 6 years before I knew that I would ever live in Muskogee.

5. When I started classes at OSU, I attended a church next to campus. It was new in 1967! I thought it was a cool design and used many aspects of that building in later designs. Last week I was hired to do a new master plan to remodel that very building.

I am constantly amazed that places and buildings that formed my thinking have later been subjects of projects. Besides doing buildings of most of the churches that I attended, I have done projects in every town that I lived. It keeps getting wilder! and more fun.

I'll let you know if it was as much fun as winning the lottery.........after I win the lottery.

No comments: