Sunday, June 8, 2008

Mike talks Turkey (Politics)! #1

Well, with the last weeks events, I guess my mother will be alive a lot longer. After all she said on many occasions that she would die if Hillary became President.

Let me pull over and park: I am a registered Democrat for business purposes. While working for a large architectural/engineering firm in Tulsa, I learned the following: When Democrats (Ds) are in control public schools, universities, roads, and clinics are built. When Republicans (Rs) are in control you switch to retail, industrial, churches and other private buildings. It is simple democrats use public money and republicans private. From college I enjoyed designing both schools and churches. Schools need taxes, republicans hate taxes. I also learned that if you want to be hired for a County or City project, you can bet that they will check your registration. Being registered wrong can cost you a job. I also have met very few school superintendents that are Republicans (though many school board members are!)

Other than that I probably have voted for as many Rs as I have Ds. I did vote for Nixon, Ford, Reagan and Bush the first, before going to the dark side.

I was raised Republican and my folks were Eisenhower republicans in the 50s when there probably weren't 100 republicans in Muskogee County. I remember when Belmon ran for Governor I was in Haskell High and our Civics class held a mock vote. 24 kids voted for the democrat and I voted for Belmon. I had the last laugh when he became the 1st first republican Governor in Oklahoma.

Ok, back to the road.

A lot has changed for me in 50 years. Many Republicans seem to believe that they are the only ones that will go to heaven. I have actually heard this said within the walls of the church that I attend.

The mixture of religion and politics has been strange for me as I am on a less traveled road. I was taught from a early age to support our President (even Carter). When Bill Clinton came along I became a "closet" fan. He was ridiculed by everyone around me especially at church. He was (in my fellow Christians' eyes) a demon who was trying intentionally to give the USA to Satan. We used to say that about Russia.

Here was my take:

Bill Clinton was a real baby boomer like me. He grew up in a small town. His family had no money. He was driven to achieve. He liked music. etc. etc. Apart from Monica he was a good politician. He was accused of being a womanizer by the republican leader, Newt G. (who had been divorced 2 or 3 times). It has always surprised me to talk to my friends about Bill. In their minds Bill is still committing adultery with great passion (because Letterman and Leno) has been telling Monica jokes for 12 years! The Monica Incident happened 2 years before you and I heard about it. This is the Zacchaeus Factor.

In Luke 19 we know this about Zacchaeus: He was a chief tax collector (democrat). He was wealthy. He wanted to see Jesus. Jesus wanted to see him. The republicans did not want Jesus to be with someone who was a sinner. Zach said that IF he had cheated anyone he would repay.
Jesus said "Salvation has come to this house." The end.

For Bill it is not possible. And Zacchaeus never even admitted to sinning! either!

Go 8 years into the future. Hillary was not accepted for three reasons by most republican Christians: 1. She SHOULD have divorced Bill and not doing so made her a party to undefined sins. 2. She showed too much control as first lady and she was cold and hard and surmised that even Bill was driven to others by her personality! 3. She is Satan.

I see no example of Jesus attacking the Romans and treating Caesar like we treat our government leaders (in His Name) even though the Big C probably did a few bad things. I believe Jesus was called (and is calling) to do something different.

I pray that Obama and McCain can weather the coming storm.

I know that I didn't mention abortion, gays, and immigration in this but check the stance of both Obama and McCain!

P.S. This is a reason the blog is "Less Traveled Roads". I think a little off the compass!

No comments: