Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day

My Dad was 30 years older than me. This week he would be 91 had he lived this long. I am 30 years older than my son, Nate. Nate is almost 30 years older than his son Addison. When something happens in Nate's world, I now stop and think what was my dad doing when I was Nate's age. It grounds me to realize how little I knew about my dad's thoughts and dreams when I was younger.

No matter what I do in life, I hold his accomplishments in the highest esteem. My dad had a 10th grade education. No high school or college diploma. In his world of Haskell he was Mayor of the town for 8 years (never had an opponent) and he was an Elder in his church. He came up through the ranks of John Zink Company to become a department head over 35 years. To do similar with the things he empowered me with- I would need to be Governor by now.

No comments: