Sunday, January 8, 2017

Showing Up Part 1

In the bog post that was republished below, Richard Beck makes this statement:

"The magic is found in simply showing up. Week after week, year after year.  It is hard and often tedious. You're frequently tired and have other things to do. It take discipline, commitment and sacrifice. It's a marathon, not a sprint. You just keep showing up. ..you show up and light a candle in the darkness. On the surface, the fidelity of simply showing up looks small and boring. But I've come to see it as powerful and revolutionary as mustard seed, to use Jesus' way of describing the kingdom of GOD."

For me this was heavy stuff.

In my local church we are always concerned about the lack of attendance for various events and classes that are created.  On Wednesday night's we even started preparing meals for those with kids  who are rushed to get to Bible classes.  We try to make things easy: so donuts and coffee on Sunday.

Mr Beck used the term Fidelity. I haven't used that word lately so to the dictionary I ran.

Yikes!  Fidelity is simply: "The quality of Faithfulness or Loyalty."

As a "progressive Christian" I remember almost laughing at my forefathers who considered a "Faithful Christian" one who attended all church services.  I was too enlightened for that because I thought to be faithful was much deeper.  I have been schooled.

The failure of our society that reflects in our church bodies is the absence of loyalty and faithfulness.

We are only loyal to self and when asked to participate we say, " WE will if we have time."  If I deem it important to me I will unless i find something I would like to do.

As Woody Allen once said,  "80% of success is  SHOWING UP"

I am embarking on a personal study of this subject because I need it.

Hillary Clinton said, "Showing up is not all of life but it accounts for a lot,"

Remember Moses at the Burning Bush. He had many reasons why he could not lead Israel. God basically said, YOU NEED TO SHOW UP. I WILL TEACH YOU WHAT TO SAY AND DO.

YOU AND I NEED TO SHOW UP 

No comments: