Monday, December 22, 2014

WILD


Another Big Story with a Short Title:  My quick summary of "Wild" is that it is well named.

This movie is based on a true story and book by Cheryl Strayed played by Reese Witherspoon. Cheryl decides to hike the 1,000 mile Pacific Crest Trail from Southern California up to Canada.
By itself the journey is wild enough, but the flashbacks of her past life is wilder still. Cheryl was a self destructive person who makes bad decisions in bad relationships and meaningless "quick" encounters.  As they movie began, I was wondering how a young lady could go out into the wild facing many dangers and uncertainties. Quickly, as I got to know her past, I could see that she was right at home.

This is a strong movie about taking time to reflect on demons, on the death of a parent, on bad decisions and on the need to reboot a life gone crazy. I know the story works because it challenged me to reflect on my past as soon as the credits started rolling.  Her story is night and day different from mine and yet.... and yet on some level I related.

This is a hard R movie with sex and profanity about an R rated life. On another level it is just a great story that tells me that you can run but you can't hide.

This film rates with the year's best: I give it *****stars

This marks my 52nd movie of 2014 (one a week!)

No comments: